Specials

August Training Special: 10% of all training fees go to supporting local strongman, xfit and powerlifting events.

2nd Week of Reverse Band Squats

Reverse Band Squats
150×5
240×3
290×3
310×3
330×1 (took it down way too fast)
330×1 (a little better, but still ugly as sin)

I need to work on taking the bar down in a more controlled manner, and coming back up explosively. 3-0-1. There are a lot of fine points in my squat I need to concentrate on, and if my next meet is going to be a push/pull it will give me a lot of time to work on my form rather than weight.





Good Mornings
4×10

Goblet Squats (real wide stance to work on my glutes)
4×10 45, 55, 55, 55

Step ups
3×5 65lbs

Squat Thrusters
4×10 45, 55, 55, 55


I've had a cold the past few days, but it's no excuse to not be 100% and work as hard as I can if I am physically capable of doing so.
I felt so broke off after-wards, I almost puked. Going to eat a huuuuuge meal, right after my post working ON pro complex shake (yay samples).


So why bands, or reverse bands?

The use of bands and reverse bands allows a maximal amount of force to be applied throughout the range of motion by utilizing accommodating resistance. the closer you are to lock out the more force you can apply, bands and chains apply more and more force the closer you get to lock out.

A biomechanical analysis of the squat through several experience levels of powerlifting has show that more experienced lifters have a higher rate of upward acceleration when compared to novice lifters.

Bands and chains allow for one to focus on controlling the weight during the descent and exploding during the ascent.

Just be careful not to fall into the fallacy that low-weight reps performed at a high velocity will translate into a higher 1RM. It's a lot like falling into the trap of a high muscular circumference will translate into a higher max(If this were true bodybuilders would beast us all in powerlifting). This is where some specificity comes into play

Specificity: You get what you train for. If you lift quickly you will get better at lifting quickly. If you lift heavy you will get better at lifting heavy

I'm still learning, so what I'm writing are my theories, not law. And I'm just as likely to fuck up as anyone else in my theories (if not more so)


We had 2 new kids come to the team, so we've got 4 kids on their proby period, so all the seasoned vets have to keep on eye out on them. The kids are pretty naturally athletic, but this is the first time they have done this kind of lifting, so it's still a learning experience. It's nice that our pack is growing and more and more kids are getting interested in powerlifting and getting in contact with the team.
The new kids are learning about progression, training, and are fixing their form and bar path with the guidance of our senior members. The kids have great work ethic.

No comments:

Post a Comment